The story of “Sibirskiy Bulat”
We consider the date of foundation of “Sibirskiy Bulat” workshops to be on 04.11.1996, when four men united by a single idea to smelt bulat, began their work at the project shop in the Research and Development Institute of Metallurgical Technologies in Izhevsk. They included Basov V.I., Vereskunov A.F. and two enterprising singer-musicians Rusanov Alexey and Parakhin Sergey.
We achieved first positive results: several cakes of carbonic Anosov bulat. However we were not satisfied with the steel quality and had not developed the methods to process it into a fully-fledged product.
An economic situation in Russia at that period was critical and after a short search, the work was continued at the “Metallurgicheskiy Zavod” Izhmash, “Kalashnikov Group”. We had no holidays, no salary, but an extensive analytical database (2 metallographic laboratories, 2 laboratories of mechanical test ing and 2 laboratories of chemical analysis) whereby we came to know gradually about the bulat steel. The basis for smelting until 2002 was the smelting of crucible bulat and several attempts of industrial smelting. All of it amounted to 130 smelts.
Here are a few qualities of bulat steel, which have significantly impressed us.
1. When cutting a 13 kg 90 mm in diameter bulat cake with an abrasive disk (a Heller saw cannot cut it even when lowered) the temperature of the whole cake goes up to 900-1100 °C whereas the temperature of any other type of steel under the same operations reaches no more than 250-270 °C.
2. The density of carbonic bulat is 8.03 gram/cm3, even though the density of all ferrous metals varies between 7.78-7.8 gram/cm3.
3. The tested samples after several smelts of bulat with the hardness index of 64 HRC displayed a relative elongation of 17% and only afterwards they broke
Both several test groups and we were impressed by electrical conductivity and magnetic qualities of the bulat steel.
After 12 years of research, we realized our dream of creating and industrial smelting of corrosion-resistant bulat steel.
During our work several types of steel with unique qualities were discovered including ferronickel alloys. Today these types of steel are successfully employed in manufacturing our products.
To smelt a corrosion-resistant (chemical-resistant) bulat steel, we had to design and construct the MAG-1 line ourselves, which included the equipment needed to ensure the complete cycle of producing 8-15 kg cakes of this incredible, unique material.
Tasks that presented the utmost difficulty included:
1. Complex inclusion of carbide clusters into the system according to certain laws of nature to ensure both the unique pattern of bulat steel and its high physical and mechanical qualities.
2. Controlling matrix qualities, which perform important functions.
It is the matrix through several different border zones that firmly holds dendritic carbide branches with high value of micro-hardness and at the same time defines rigidity (flexibility), pliability and other mechanical and thermomechanical bulat steel qualities.
From 1996 to 2014, we produced more than 1500 steel smelts among which more than 700 bulat smelts.
Now we are at the final stage to produce industrial bulat steel and to process it into a working cutting instrument: rotary tools, saws, and chisels for a wide range of application. Significant research basis along with equipment enabled us to achieve notable results.
Here are a few characteristics of instrumental bulat steel: micro-hardness 69.5 HRC, high rigidity 4-8 kg/mm2. The hardness of the cutting edge lies within 56-60 HRC at 600 °C.
We manufacture products using self-developed types of steel this fact alone allows us to call our products of ferrous steel, Damascus steel, Anosov steel, instrumental and corrosion-resistant bulat steel unique.
1. Development of production and processing technology of artistically forged scissors (manicure, barber, tailor). We have been producing Damascus and bulat steel for this purpose.
2. Production technology equipment for kitchen knives sets from corrosion-resistant bulat steel in 36 artistic variants.
3. Annual new knives designs and other products by our craftsmen from various types of steel in one copy only.
We have no boundaries of imagination and application of various types of materials.
Substantial knowledge-base, wealthy experience of craftsmen, the ongoing search for the new and unique together with extensive analytical base shall lead our efforts to success and satisfaction of our clients.